Philip J. Curtis
Phone: (517) 787-9481
Fax: (517) 787-5622
Legal Assistant: Susan Gray
Philip J. Curtis is managing partner of Curtis, Curtis & Brelinski, P.C., a law firm founded by his grandfather, former Jackson County Probate Court Judge George H. Curtis, in 1901. Mr. Curtis joined the firm right out of law school in 1970, practicing law with his father, Robert N. Curtis, for many years before his father's eventual retirement.
Mr. Curtis is a business attorney. He serves as general counsel to family businesses in Jackson and throughout mid-Michigan, many times spanning multiple generations of family business owners. His business law practice centers on transactions, including mergers and acquisitions; sales of businesses and equipment; business reorganizations; business succession planning; complex real estate transactions; and employee benefits and retirement plan design, preparation, and administration.
Mr. Curtis knows the challenges that businesses face, because not only is he a veteran business attorney, he is a long-time businessman himself. He has been an investor in, and officer and board member of, numerous Jackson area businesses throughout his 50 year career. In 2010, his continued business success was recognized by the Jackson County Chamber of Commerce when he was named the Entrepreneurship Vision Award winner. In January 2020, he received the distinguished award as the Small Business Person of the Year by the Jackson County Chamber of Commerce.
Mr. Curtis also represents individuals in designing and implementing estate plans, including complex trusts; resolving tax issues; and as counsel to fiduciaries in the administration of probate and trust estates. He has extensive experience serving as trustee and personal representative for estates.
Mr. Curtis earned his JD from Wayne State University Law School in 1970. He received his undergraduate degree from the University of Michigan in 1967 (Majoring in History). Prior to attending the University of Michigan, Mr. Curtis attended the University of Arizona, where he swam for the Arizona Wildcats.
As a lifelong resident of Jackson County, Mr. Curtis enjoys spending time with his family, and giving back and serving his community by, among other things, serving on the Boards of the Purple Rose Theatre and the Spring Arbor University Foundation. Mr. Curtis has a deep and long history serving Jackson-area non-profit organizations, including serving as trustee and counsel for several charitable trusts and private foundations.
- Wayne State University
Juris Doctor, May 1970
- University of Michigan
Bachelor of Arts, May 1967
- All Michigan State Courts
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan
- American Bar Association
- State Bar of Michigan - Sections: Business Law, Probate & Estate Planning
- Jackson County Bar Association
- Purple Rose Theatre - Board of Directors (Chairman 2008 to 2014)
- Jackson School of the Arts - Board of Directors
- Philip C. Curtis Charitable Trust for the Encouragement of Art - Trustee
- Spring Arbor University Foundation - Board of Directors
- Jackson Symphony Orchestra - Board of Directors (Former)
- Ella Sharp Museum - Board of Trustees (Former)
- Family Service & Children's Aid - Board of Directors (Former President)
- Jackson County Legal Aid Society - Board of Directors (Former President)
- Jackson YMCA - Board of Directors (Former)